Sunday, October 11, 2009

Sunday in Hohhot, Inner Mongolia --Day 3 with Hamilton!







Sunday, October 10, 2009

Today we were able to sleep in as long as we wanted for the first day since arriving in China. I enjoyed being lazy and Skyping this morning before and after breakfast. Thomas found a city park for us to visit and it was fun as well as very pretty. They had exercise equipment in two areas for adults and children. Some of the pictures are from those areas. There were men fishing. Also there were paddle-boats to rent. Hamilton made it very clear that he wanted to ride a boat. So we rented one for 50 Yuan or about $8 for an hour. He loved it! He carried on conversations with Thomas, who asked him if he could swim, roller blade, etc. Each answer was, “yes, I can”. Thomas said he could do everything – very brave! He fell and hit his head while playing on some of the equipment. He cried pretty hard, but let me comfort him. I think that was another step toward bonding. Thomas was very protective after that, staying very close to Hamilton’s side to prevent injury. He now has a small black eye and a scrape and bump across his forehead! We may have to cover up the injuries to be allowed out of Inner Mongolia-just kidding!

We worked on not throwing food at lunch today by removing his plate every time he threw. It seemed to work at the time because he did not like loosing his plate. It is tough to discipline while trying to bond and having a language barrier. Dad and Thomas say I am not firm enough. I think Will and Elizabeth would disagree! But he is so cute and laughs so hard when he is being naughty that it is very difficult not to laugh back. You can pray for gentleness. I began praying that he would develop a gentle spirit this afternoon after he head butted me in the eye. He can be quite rough in addition to mischievous.

Tonight we are going to dinner with the hotel manager who came by our table last night and introduced himself. He is from a diplomatic family and grew up in the US. He asked to host us for dinner. We are the only Americans staying here. So we are somewhat celebrities. We receive stares everywhere we go!

Tomorrow we are driving two hours to the grasslands. I believe we will be able to ride horses and watch a performance of some kind.

Thank you for your continued prayers. We have now survived one week away from home. I am missing my family and bed very much! But Skype has been wonderful. I can not imagine doing this trip with out it.

Love,

Kem

2 comments:

  1. i think yall r awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kem,
    What a fun day to spend with Hamilton! All of you look so happy! I love that he was so excited about the boat- proof that little boys are the same the world over!
    I know with your loving patience he will soon be eating with the manners of a proper southern gentleman!I will pray for an understanding between the two of you that will surpass all language barriers.
    Terri

    ReplyDelete