Monday, October 5, 2009

Beijing- Day 1





I really did not know that I could ever be so tired. The time change is tough to get used to. But we just finished our first day in Beijing. It is Monday evening here. Saturday and Sunday were spent on the plane. I had about a 45 minute flight to Atlanta, then a 14 hour and 15 minute flight to Tokyo. Followed by 3 and a half hour flight to Beijing arriving at 10:30 Sunday night.
I met a doctor from a PCA church in Augusta on my long flight. He was headed to Indonesia for a medical missions trip in the town of the tsunami. Bill, you would have enjoyed him. He was reading and listening to a sermon of John Piper.!

This morning we went to the Great Wall. I had difficulty breathing the air as we climbed. So my hike was shortened. I was praising God at the end. They brought someone down on a stretcher to an ambulance. I was so thankful it was not me!!

We then went to lunch at a tourist restaurant above the Cloissonet Factory—this is probably misspelled. After lunch, we toured the Olympic Village areas.

China is much different than I expected. I found out on the plane that there are legal protestant churches here. I was surprised. A man from Nashville comes twice a year to teach in seminaries. The churches carry bibles printed in English and Mandarin. One of the churches is supposed to be close to our hotel in Guangzhou. So I am going to try to purchase a bible for Hamilton. The hotel is clean an nice. It has a little mildew in the tub, but no big deal. The people are pleasant. We did get the chance to pose in pictures for a couple of Chinese people. Beth was a bit surprised when a college student asked for her picture!! I forgot to warn her.

I can not reach our blog from here. So Bill or my mom will be posting for me. I can check emails though. So, please post comments or send emails. We need lots of prayer.
Melissa, Thomas is checking to see if I can visit the orphanage. He said that most children are taken from their foster parents a week or two before adoption and returned to the orphanage. So I do not know if we will get to see Fischer. But I will get a picture for you if I do.

Thank you for your prayers. I feel covered, which we really need.
Kem

2 comments:

  1. Hi Kem,
    We are praying for you and Hamilton and are happy to keep up with your journey on your blog. Were you sitting next to Ted Kuhn on the plane? If so, it is a small world but from your description it has to be him! We traveled to Bangladesh with him several years ago when we were living in Augusta.
    Blessings,
    Megan Shirley
    (from Hamilton's class at CDS)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kem,
    I am praying for both you and Hamilton daily. I especially pray that Hamilton's little heart will be open to a new mommy and that his grieving will be short lived. Take care of yourself and try to get acclimated to the time change - soon you will have a preschooler to chase around and you'll need every bit of energy you can get!
    Heather O.

    ReplyDelete