Saturday, October 17, 2009

Saturday Memories.....






Saturday, October 16, 2009

The TB test was negative!!! Yeah! That saved us a little money and hassle. If it comes back positive we have to pay for a chest x-ray and wait for those results. The clinic was packed today with people were waiting outside to go in. But we were able to walk right in and have a nurse look at Guang Guang’s arm. That was great!

He woke up not feeling great, just fussy and clingy. But after a little motrin, he was back to normal. We are guessing that he feels achy from the vaccines. After the clinic visit, we played at the pool. There were other children, and Hamilton loved playing with and beside them. He has great play skills, is very social and copies what the big kids are doing. There is a wall that some of the kids were swimming through. I sent a picture of him going through it. It took two of us to help him because he cannot swim yet.

He takes a nap every day, so after the pool we napped. Beth worked and I attempted to exercise. I did fine yesterday, but today felt dehydrated. Beth felt funny yesterday when working out. We are not sure if it is altitude, climate or what. Hohhot was in the mountains, so we knew we all felt funny because of the altitude.

We have met a lot of families today ad it is so much fun talking with them. Many are on their second or third adoption. One man is adopting his fourth child from China and has four biological children. The eight are between 2 and 13. He was here last November adopting their third. (So I guess one a year.) Another family has two from China and four biological. The families are from all over the country and traveled to various provinces. One family was able to visit their child’s orphanage and take photos and video of children being adopted by friends. The orphanage also had a dinner for them. I wish we were able to do that. But I am thankful to have met the foster mom. I have emailed her while here. Her daughter in law speaks English and she replied that her mom has cried for days. So, please keep her in your prayers. That was difficult to hear. However, a mom at the pool said that the children are not able to remain with the foster family forever, eventually they go back to the orphanage or boarding school. It has been nice to talk with other moms who have similar fears, excitement, etc feelings as I do. So far, I think I am the only mom with out a husband here. But I have met one dad with out a mom. Beth is a great substitute!!! And Laurie and Dad are huge helpers. One mother said she has had her closest bout of post-partem depression after adopting. She said she did not struggle after pregnancies, but she has older children also, and her daughter is non responsive. The fear is what have I done to my family and my other children? Will everyone adapt, bond, and become a family? Her children are on the trip. It is scary; however, it is all in God’s plan.

I keep reminding myself that. My fear is that Hamilton will turn our home topsy turvy, which I know he will, so it is legitimate. I just have to remind myself that we can do all things through Christ who strengthens us and take it one day at a time. I have forewarned that everything needs to be put up high, but I am not sure Bill and the kids fully understand. Beth and I find things missing every day. We look and typically find them in a “normal” spot. Hamilton likes to clean and play pretend. Today I lost my book. He had put it under the bedside table on top of a stack of magazines and books from the hotel. Beth found it finally and I never would have looked there. His hitting is better. I am learning to give him a few minutes to show me what he wants and to pick my battles. We also borrowed a stroller from one of the shops. He loves it, and there are less battles on the streets when he is contained and happy being pushed.

Several people have asked when I will start calling him Hamilton. Here we call him Hamilton occasionally. There are so many words he needs to learn. And the transition is so difficult, that I am hesitant to take his name away. He refers to himself as Guang Guang, which makes it more difficult. I have talked with several other families with older children. They all say that they will begin calling them by Chinese name plus American name once back home, for example we will call him Guang Hamilton and eventually drop the Guang or use it as a nick name. He says Guang Guang all of the time, so right now I am stuck using it also.

It has been much harder to blog here, because he wants attention. Right now he is taking a late nap. I feel like I am rambling because I have the time to fill you in on our days. Sorry if too much information. He is waking up now!

I miss you all! Myra, it was good to see your face this morning on Skype.

Love,

Kem

2 comments:

  1. I finally had some time to catch up on my reading of your postings... love the pictures. It has been so gloomy and rainy here that the pool pictures look fun! Haley has had fun hanging out with Elizabeth lately. She said she played with her last night at the VH vs. Hoover game... and she was such a sweet child last weekend when she spent the night with us. I know they all miss you very much and will be so happy to have you all home safe and sound. I will start praying for a non-eventful flight, and a smooth transition for Hamilton. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kem,

    I am loving following your story!!! Cannot wait to meet your little guy!!!!

    Hugs,
    Dawn Norris

    ReplyDelete