Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Day 3 in Beijing!






Today we went to Summer Palace and the Silk Market. Summer Palace is where the emperors lived in the summer. They spent winter in The Forbidden City. Summer Palace was beautiful and extremely crowded. It opened 2 hours late because some officials were touring it. So there were many people waiting in line. And unfortunately I have discovered that when Chinese people wait there is smoking involved. So, health wise, it was a tough morning. There is a picture of the dragon boats at the Summer Palace and another of a marble boat. Also, outside the palace I took a picture of a man on a bike with a wagon. We have seen these all over the city, even completely loaded with soft drinks for a delivery. The next picture is of some homes or apartments near the Silk Factory. It shows some poverty. The Silk Market was tons of fun. It was hard to shop because whenever we touched something we had to bargain over prices. I mean big bargaining. They would suggest 560 yuan and I would say 100 yuan. Crazy!! There is one picture of us bargaining with the owners. I bought a lot of Christmas presents. The Bennett family will have a Christmas filled with things bought from China.

Tomorrow, I meet Hamilton. I am nervous and excited. I do have a peace, though. I pray he likes me! But mostly that he bonds and has a smooth adjustment. Thomas, our guide says that he has been told about us, but what can a 3 year old really comprehend? I am also praying that we will be able to visit the orphanage. I would really like to visit and thank the nannies. I have blankets the Covenant girls made for the children. Hopefully, these will help get me a visit. It is 5:00 pm here and this time tomorrow I should have a 3 year old. Sounds amazing and unfathomable.



5 comments:

  1. Hello Mrs. Bennett!

    We are so excited for you to meet Hamilton! We love seeing the picture of Hamilton and hope to see more. Don't worry. We are sure Hamilton will love you.

    We are having lots of fun here at West. We are learning about economics.

    We hope you are having a blast in China!

    Sincerely,
    Kennamer's Koalas

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kem,
    Good thoughts and lots of prayers are headed your way. If you have time, buy some suckers at the airport. We bribed both of our boys with candy and it worked beautifully (at least for a little while.) I can't wait to see pictures tomorrow.
    Take care,
    Heather O.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Elizabeth DellaccioOctober 7, 2009 at 6:33 PM

    Hey Mrs. Bennett,
    I have been looking at your blog alot. We are excited that you get Hamilton tomorrow. He will be so lucky to see his new momma.
    We can't wait to see tomorrows pictures!
    Hannah wants you to know that Spencer came back today. :)
    This is from Hannah and her momma!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kem,
    The children were so excited to read your blog and see pictures of Hamilton!! I hope the Skype works for you and CIssy on Friday. She is talking to Jan about getting it ready since I will be gone that day. Look for an email from her soon.
    I will pray for you and little Hamilton. How exciting! You will be holding your sweet little boy very soon!
    Terri

    ReplyDelete
  5. hey i am so glad that he is a good fit and all i cant wait to see what he will be like when he is older!!!

    ReplyDelete