Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Day 2 in Beijing


















Last we went to the Forbidden City. I did not do my research. I assumed it was just another building. I was quite wrong!! Apparently, it was built during the Ming dynasty. The emperor believed the god of heaven had 10,000 rooms in heaven. So, to not compete with the god, he built his "city" to have 9,999.5 rooms. It was huge, truly a small city. It was all stone with one small garden area- I mean no grass in sight!! There were many buildings and entrances between them surrounded by a large brick wall. It was also very crowded. It is fun to watch the Chinese people. They also seemed to enjoy watching us.

At the end of the day, Beth, Tyler, and I walked around the streets of our hotel. We wandered into a mall. We had many people staring at us and I assume talking about us. A man came and spoke to us. He said one of the ladies asked him to tell us that she had fitting rooms. He was an artist and showed us the gallery. I believe we were the only Caucasians in the mall.

Tonight I opted out of dinner. I am very tired. I slept 13 hours last night trying to adjust to the time change. Also, it seems that more people smoke at dinner. I felt sick last night after sitting through dinner. I could use prayer for my allergies. Asians like their cigarettes! My guide finally asked today why I wore a mask occasionally. I tried to explain and hope I did not offend. I really do not want to be sick when I meet Hamilton.

The more obvious prayers would be for Hamilton's adjustment. God has given me a peace about it. I know he is in control no matter what happens.

I miss you all and would love some American food already,
Kem

1 comment:

  1. I didn;t know his birthday is same as Claire's. How easy is that! Good Luck with everything in CHina. Our prayers are with you all.

    Kristen and Claire

    ReplyDelete